Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Be careful with weights

I'm learning that weights are hard to do right. I felt my shoulder slide while I was doing bicep curls last Saturday. The only logical explanation I can come up with for that is I went up a weight on a couple of exercises in too short of a time period. So right now I have to stop for now. Though I had been training for strength in the past. I'm going to go more for toning after I recover, which is still rigorous but from what I understand, I probably won't be pushing the limits of the other parts of my body as hard. So I'm asking a friend about how to train for tone instead of strength and post that information on here.

The reason why it's so important to watch your shoulder is damage done to your shoulder can get pretty nasty if you aren't careful and it builds up over time. A guy in my ward explained it like "Everything feels more or less normal, it aches a little but you keep going and one day, you throw a ball and your shoulder goes out." My Dad had a similar experience. So it's a good idea to be careful with your shoulder and make sure it's getting the training and rest it needs.

I did some reading and it said yoga was really good for swimmers. So I'm thinking about doing that instead of weights. I probably won't get as big, but I might be a better swimmer in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment